3/24/10



Don't Pay The Ransom!!
Many years ago I heard a story about a man who had stayed out all night with his buddies, and was trying to figure out how to face his wife when he got home.  What story would he tell her?  He hit upon this plan:  He called his wife and said, "Honey, don't pay the ransom!  I've escaped!"  In this way, he thought, he would have justification with his wife for his all-night absence. 

I know that you are smarter than to fall for such a story, so I won't try to use it with you to justify the long hiatus in my reports.  There are many reasons, which perhaps the events recorded in this newsletter will clarify.  But I do feel that I owe it to you who read this accounting from time to time to say, "Please hang in there with me!"

R & R
In the military the term R & R is used to refer to a time of "rest and relaxation (or recuperation)".  Someone has said that for the missionary the term has a bit different meaning: "return and report".  I am blessed that the people who make it possible for me to be here through their sacrificial contributions to the work being done here do not make any unreasonable demands on my time when I am able to come to the U.S.  Nonetheless, I feel a certain obligation to try to connect with as many of you wonderful people as possible during the time I am the country.

Last time I was Stateside I decided it would be wiser to give my car away than to let it sit for almost two years without being used, which I did.  So when I was planning my latest visit I had to determine how I was going to get from place to place.  Through the extreme generosity of a brother and sister, who wish to remain anonymous, I was able to have the use of a rental car for my travels across the country and back.  I drove that 2009 Dodge Charger about 12,000 miles, which is about the norm for my visits to U.S. soil.  THANK YOU, brother and sister!!

I landed in Portland, OR and drove as far east as Knoxville, TN before heading back across the south and up through CA to Portland again.  During my visit I was blessed to spend Christmas in Denver once again with my children and grandchildren, as was the case on my last visit, as well.  I got to visit with my sister and both of my brothers, though for short periods of time.  I saw many Christian brothers and sisters whom I have known for many years, now scattered all across the U.S.  I was blessed to meet with many of  you, though I did not get to see everyone I would have liked to.  I had communicated with some of you about the possibility of by to visit, and did not get a chance to do so.  I am sorry, and I hope you will permit me to do so my next time to do so my next time in the States, if possible.

Carrying On
While I was out of the country it was a great feeling to know that the preaching in the church here in Lushnja was being handled by young men who were not Christians when I first came to Albania.  The Inertational Bible Institute of Albania, with Steve Stamatis directing, is owed a great deal of credit for this wonderful condition.  One of the young men trained in the school, Altin Koçi, was one of the first converts here in Lushnja.  He is now working full-time with the church in Fier.  Two others converted here in Lushnja have also expressed interest in studying in the school to improve their knowledge of the Bible.  Please pray that this kind of interest will continue.

At the same time, the need for outside support for full-time workers is very great here.  The current unemployment level in Albania is 48%.  Among those fortunate enough to have work, the average yearly income is about $2,000.  So the giving in most of the Albanian churches is, understandably, well below the needs of the churches.  Yes, the economy is bad all over the world.  Asking people to dig deeper for missions when many are already stretching themselves may seem crass or unfeeling.  Yet I unashamedly put that heartfelt challenge before you.  Please prayerfully consider continuing, or beginning, support of the kingdom work being done here Albania.  Only eternity will tell us the value of such a decision.

Visit From Family
In the seven and one-half years I have been here in Albania, none have my family have been able to visit here to see the country, and meet people I love.  Until now!  Brendin Williamson, my second-oldest grandchild, is a Pepperdine sophomore who has been studying this year in the Year In Europe program in Heidelberg, Germany.  On his Spring break he honored me with a five-day visit, just ten days after my return from the States.  We were able to travel to several of the historic sites of the country, as well as to some of the more picturesque areas.  What a blessing it was.  He was very patient as he listened to me tell of many things from my past.  I shared with him my dreams for the future of the Lord's kingdom here in the place that was a part of the Ilyricum to which Paul said, in Romans 15:19, he had been privileged to take the gospel.  One of the places we visited was a bridge that tradition says Paul crossed as he traversed Illyricum.

Christian Camp
There will once again be a camp for the young people of the church here in Albania this summer.  There has been a lot of planning and effort put forth in this regard, and we praise God for the results.  Eventually it is the desire of brethren throughout the country to have our own property and permanent facilities, which can be used all year, and not just by the young people.  It is envisioned that this can be a retreat center where many of the activities that take place for the benefit of church members nationwide can be held.  That is still in the future, but efforts will continue to made and prayers will continue to be offered to that end.

For this summer we will be utilizing facilities owned by an evangelical group in the south of Albania.   We will have three one-week sessions, age specific.  The cost for tuition, including food, will be about the equivalent of $62 USD.  I have mentioned before in this posting the economic conditions here in Albania.  The amount of money, by U.S. standards, does not sound like too much.  By the standards of most Albanians, it is quite a challenging amount.  All the churches have been encouraged to provide for their own who might need a scholarship to be able to attend.  Many are less able to do so than you might imagine.  So, I come, once again with hat in hand, so to speak, asking you to assist us in this effort.  If you are able to provide a scholarship for even one child, it will be a great blessing.  Donations for this, and all other purposes, can be directed to the Metro church of Christ, 1525 NW Division, Gresham, OR 97030.  Please note on the outside of the envelope, For Albania.  In addition, please include a note in the envelope that states specifically for what the money is to be used.


Summer Campaign
We also will be having a World English Institute teaching campaign here in Lushnja this summer.  If you are not familiar with this ministry, check it out at www.weiady.org.  This will consist of teaching English and Bible together, utilizing the WEI materials.  Almost all the converts here in Lushnja have come through this means of teaching.  In fact, next Sunday we will be having another baptism, the Lord willing, as a direct result of the use of these materials in our year-long teaching program.

We are looking for more teachers who would be willing and able to come and work with us in this effort, beginning the last week of June.  Again, the economy is a detriment for many people.  If you would like to come, but cannot afford the costs of transportation and living expenses that will be incurred, please ask if your church or fellow-Christians can enable this to happen through their donations.

If you are interested in coming, please let me know and additional information will be provided to you.  My email addresses are listed on the right side of this newsletter.  Please note that one of the addresses, my primary receiving address, has been changed.  It is now tbonner@metrocofc.org.

Techno-Challenged
I got a new camera, and have been unable to get it to work with me on downloading pictures.  I had some I wanted to share with you, but it will have to wait until next time.  I am already so far behind in my communications with you, and am being encouraged by brothers and sisters to get some word out.  So, I am sending this pictureless and will try to get it figured out before next newsletter.  And it is my utmost desire to communicate monthly with you.  Please forgive the delay.

Praise God!!
Yes, praise God for his many blessings.  But above all, praise him for the salvation that is ours through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ on the cross.  Please praise him for those who have come to know Jesus through our efforts here, and ask that the number of such people will increase here in a land locked in the grip of a tragic past.

Walking With Jesus Daily,

Tom


No comments: