10/9/09




September 2009
Old Dog, New Tricks
This old saying has taken on new significance as I have tried to reformat the newsletter, with little technological knowledge or skill. This situation, along with many additional events happening, have contributed to the lateness of my sharing with you regarding the Lord's work here in Lushnja. I apologize, but cannot promise that it will not happen again. I have been toying with various formats, other than this blog page, for creating the newsletter. For those who want to be able to just provide the internet link to their congregations, this is a great format. For smaller churches who are trying to copy the newsletter each time a new posting takes place, it is a bit problematic. I will continue to work on it, wanting to make it as easy and convenient as possible for everyone.


God Is Good
There is probably no one who follows God who has not, at some time, questioned why things were happening the way they were in his/her life. I know this is true of me and my life. Because I've been around for a long time I've had many opportunities to say, "It's in your hands, my God!" I don't always do so when I need to, but I've gotten better at doing so with time.


I was reminded recently, by someone who is going through severe trials, that our God is good all the time! Over and over throughout scripture the concept of God's goodness is presented. The Psalms, particularly, remind us constantly that "His love endures forever." Those words do not say to me only that his love will last into the unimaginable future, but that it is here, now, today, in my struggles and in my joys. I, for one, need to improve my expression of appreciation to God for all he does, all the time.


I was also reminded recently that it is easy to forget the past "goodnesses" and blessings of our God when things are difficult. Someone has suggested that too many of us have the attitude that expresses itself with thinking that says, "Yes, God, but what have you done for me lately?" God has been good to me. I don't get to see my physical family very often, but my family (really God's family) has been/is being enlarged here in Albania. God is pleased and glorified when people come to him through Jesus, becoming spiritual children.


Precious also to God are the young ones who are born into our physical families. Small children are a special blessing to me, and I love them dearly. As I have reported in previous newsletters, we have had two new babies born into our circle of love in the church in Lushnja, Amelja and Ajla. Amelja is the older of the two, now almost a year old, and she has decided she wants to sing with us in worship, and she does it with gusto. I am including a picture of me taken with our two "babes in arms".  Aren't I blessed?



Amelja, Tom, Ajla
Church Happenings
The church here has been blessed to be involved in a number of different activities during the past several months. One such event was the annual "Bible Bowl", normally hosted by the central church in Durrës, and Çimi Kafexhiu (preacher for that congregation) does an excellent job of organizing and preparation. Let me be quick to acknowledge, as I know he would, that he has a lot of help in staging this event. We had a team go from here once again, and our people did well. The material covered this year was the gospel of Mark, and we placed third overall. In addition, our Alma Kajdo placed third in the individual category. The other participants from Lushnja were, Maks and Mira Balla, Sonila Bano, Glenida Kajdo, Bojkena Selmanaj and Era Met-Hoxha
  

Sonila, Mira, Maks



Bojkena, Era, Glenida, Alma


It is our blessing to have not only the two "church" babies shown above, but also several mothers of new babies or young children who have much interaction with the church.  We have begun the practice of providing, once a month, an outing at a local indoor playground/coffee bar for the mothers and the children, which we pay for.  It is another "bridge-building" activity which is being well-received by those in participation.  Take a look at the joy on the faces of these children.








It was our privilege to have Danah Nelson and Shelly Miller, from Sacramento, CA come by for a visit.  Danah has been many times to Albania to work in summer campaigns in a number of places, including Lushnja.  This year she brought Shelly with her, and they worked for a month with the church in Korça.  We have "adopted" Danah here in Lushnja, and hopefully she and Shelly can spend a month with us next year.                                        

                                                                   Sojana and Danah                                                                                                                                                           



Shelly and Ari 


We also had a visit from two brothers from the Slicer Street church, in Kennett, MO. Gaylon Mullins (elder) and Shawn Sando (missions deacon) came primarily to become more familiar with the two young men they are supporting to work with the church in Fier, Altin Koçi and Eduart Hoxha. You may recall that Altin became a christian here in Lushnja, and both young men are graduates of the International Bible Institute of Albania, a satellite school of the Sunset International Bible Institute.


Shawn Sando and Gaylon Mullins


I, too, have been blessed to receive support from the Slicer Street church, and have been working hand-in-hand with them in dispersing funds for the work in Fier, as well as just inter-facing with the Fier church on their behalf. Slicer Street has a long involvement with the work of planting the church here in Albania, the positive results of which will not be known this side of eternity. I had offered in advance to let these two brothers use the car that had come my way through their good graces, when the Byrnes left Fier and returned to the States. I picked them up at the airport, and we drove into Tirana to meet with a brother whom Gaylon had known as a college student in the U.S., Sokol Haxhiu. Sokol is a faithful member of the church in Tirana, and has a very responsible position with the U.N. here in Albania, having worked for them for five years now. At any rate, when Gaylon and Shawn observed the way Albanian drivers drove as we were in Tirana, both declined to accept the offer of the use of the car.


Gaylon and Shawn also became the first guests in my "new" home here in Lushnja. My home for the first month in Albania was a hotel, then I moved into the second floor of a private home, where I stayed for seven years. A local businessman offered a complete private 2-story home for not too much more than I was paying in the other place. It has two bathrooms (a real plus with guests), sleeping room for up to ten people besides myself, a very nice kitchen with granite countertops, two outside covered verandas, a garage, and fruit trees (orange, lemon, mandarin). Shawn was only with me for one night, as his stay was less than a week, and they spent most of that time in Fier. Gaylon stayed with me for several nights, then finished his time in Albania back in Fier. During his time with me we were able to make a trip to the ancient city of Berat, which was a blessing for Gaylon. He had been in Albania before, but never got to see much of the older buildings existing here.



Partial outside view



A nice kitchen


Trip To The States
I made my last trip to the States around the Christmas/New Year holiday of '07-'08. I am currently working on plans to come again for the same holiday period this year, carrying over into next year. My children, grandchildren, and I are hoping to be able to enjoy another family Christmas. I will likely also visit in each of my children's homes (Washington, California, Colorado), the Lord willing, of course.


In addition, I plan to visit all of the supporters and encouragers of this work that I can work into the schedule, plus visit with my brothers and sister in Idaho, Georgia, and California. During my travels it is my intention to attend the Eastern European Summit, Romanian/Albanian Conference which is being hosted this time around by the Prestoncrest church of Christ in Dallas, TX. If you are close enough, and have an interest in the work being done in these two European countries, plan to attend January 8-9, 2010.


I cannot promise anything at the moment, until I see what all becomes part of my schedule, but if you would like to have me visit with you and/or your congregation please let me know as soon as possible. I normally drive around 12,000 miles on each visit to the U.S., so please understand if some visits cannot be included.


My thanks to all of you for your interest in the work here, in whatever way you express it.  You may only read my occasional reports - thank you!  You may contribute funds to help this ministry exist - thank you!  If you pray for this work, that God will be glorified - a double thank you!   Please know that you are appreciated, even if the words don't come your way as often as they should.


Lifted by his love,


Tom

1 comment:

Mike and Debby said...

Tom,
Thank you for this very encouraging newsletter. It feels good to be a small part of this ministry from so far away. Blessings to you as you serve the Lord!