3/3/09


February 2009

THE LONG AND THE SHORT OF IT
Six and a half years can seem like a long time, or it can seem short. That's the amount of time I have been living in Albania, and in some respects it seems like an eternity. The sense of time being extended during these years comes not from boredom or frustration, but from the vast amount of change that has taken place within the country, within the lives of the people God has led me to, and within me. So much new construction here in Lushnja gives the impression of prosperous development, though one wonders who can afford to buy, or even rent, all these new sites. Corruption in all aspects of life is being confronted, though not necessarily eliminated. In the long term I know I must wait until this existence comes to an end before the effects of the gospel in Lushnja can be measured.

The sense of delayed time plays off of the same set of circumstances. Albania is striving hard to be a part of the 21st century, which is not an easy undertaking, given its history. The past has a strong hold on so much of the culture here, and some are very reluctant to release their hold on that aspect of their lives. Tradition is not necessarily a bad thing, and can be a good thing, unless it keeps us from doing what is the best thing. In the sort term, we are looking for God to continue to lead us to souls that are thirsty for the water of life. As Jesus said "The harvest is plentiful but the laborers are few".

CHRISTIAN CAMP
I have shared before regarding the efforts being made to rekindle the Christian camping program initially begun by Virgil and Jackie Jackson. Things are progressing, but much more remains to be done. Though I have a lot of experience in the camping scene, I have chosen to defer to the Albanian brethren, wherever possible. I have stated since I first arrived here in Albania that it is my desire to create an Albanian church, not an American transplant. That carries over into all the activities done in the name of the Lord, and to the glory of the Lord, such as this camp setting.

A board meeting of the camp was held, and a preliminary budget was outlined. Admittedly, it has some "fluff" in it, but that can easily be removed. The biggest unknown is individual camper fees, since so many here cannot afford the cost of a week at camp. Encouragement will be given to each church to assist young people from their congregation to attend the camp, but even that is a stretch. So the budget has been planned not reliant on the camper fees, and is thus seemingly large. The budget is $31,300 for this initial year, and that amount will hopefully far exceed the need, and can be lowered for subsequent years. At this time approximately $6,160 has been raised toward this project. We understand that the world's economy is in very bad shape right now, but if you as individuals or congregations can assist in getting this project off the ground, it will be a great blessing to the struggling young church in Albania. If you care to participate, make a notation on the checks "Albanian Camp", and send the donations to:
Metro church of Christ
Albanian Christian Camp
1525 NW Division Street
Gresham, OR 97030

SUMMER ACTIVITIES
The summer season is a very busy time here, as in many places. This summer the camp will take a good bit of my attention. The summertime is when teaching campaigns are usually held, as well. In addition, it is one of the few times of the year when out-of-country excursions can be planned to which church members can be invited.

The teaching program, using the World English Institute materials, is a year-round program for which we never lack for students. It is a good thing to provide opportunities for Christians from the States to come here and experience interaction with the Albanian Christians. I normally have tried to have a summer campaign every other year, and this year would be the "on" year. However, given the activities mentioned above, plus some others I will relate to you in future newsletters, I have made a decision to not have a campaign this year. I regret this development especially because it negates the wonderful opportunity for cross-culture Christian friendships to begin and be nurtured.

"OUR" BABY
You have seen in a previous report a picture of Gramoz and Alma Kajdo's new little one, Amelja, now four months old. She has been a pretty sick little girl recently, having been battling bronchitis, but seems to have "turned the corner". I am including a photo of Amelja, complete with a tube protruding from the top of her head through which the medicines were administered while she was hospitalized.

This was a new "look" for me, and I don't know if it is done that way in the States, but I have since seen many young children on TV here with similar "adornments". This has been a pretty bad flu season here, especially for the very young and the elderly, and the TV reports on the status regularly.

GOD AT WORK
While we can always want, work, and plan for greater results, we leave the control in the hands of God. I am thankful that those who sent me here, and provide for me to stay here, do not have a specified agenda, complete with numbers and quotas. Every day God allows me to speak for him, in many ways. I have students with whom spiritual matters are discussed regularly, and I meet people in the course of my daily life to whom I can show Jesus.

Currently, we are averaging about twenty in our worship on Sundays. Very often (usually, in fact) there are more non-members present than members. So many of those who have been converted here are now in other places, and we pray they are seeking to stay in touch with the body. We know from experience that such will not be true of all of them, but I "prod them from afar" from time to time. Only eternity will tell the true results of the labor of any of us. I am working to build on the only true foundation, Jesus Christ (I Cor. 3:10-15), and I am praying that the work will result in a building that will stand in the day of judgement, so our God can be glorified.

CONTINUED APPRECIATION
Again I must thank God for his wonderful provision through his wonderful saints. It is such a blessing to partner with so many of you in telling the story of God's matchless love to the people of Albania. Many have sacrificed much to enable this ministry to be a reality; many more pray often for the gospel to have free course in the lives of people here.

We must always be aware that Satan is never happy when this story is told, and will do whatever he can to undermine its effectiveness. It is my constant prayer that I will not allow Satan to use me to undermine the very message I am proclaiming. May our God be glorified in my life, and in yours, to the praise of his wonderful name.

Held in his arms of love,

Tom

2 comments:

Missionary's Missionary said...

Always feel encouraged after I read your letters. Thank you for spending the last 6 1/2 years in Lushnja. I know God is pleased. May you feel his approval.

KMiV said...

Thanks Tom for your newsletter. I had you in prayer yesterday and will continue to do so.

Ron